Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Code Enforcement: Online Tool Assists Officers

The biggest issue I hear from our citizens is code enforcement. Our citizens demand (and deserve) all property to be maintained at an acceptable level, and that violations such as too many vehicles at a residence or over-crowding at a residence be dealt with quickly and appropriately. This City Council has made it very clear to the City Manager and staff that we hear the voice of the people, and that Code Enforcement is a top priority.

Our code enforcement officers are busy. In July, 1,244 notices were issued, an increase of 38%. And through the use of the City's online Code Enforcement Complaint tool, any citizen can easily and comprehensively document potential code violations, giving the officers real-time data to follow up on.

To access the online tool, follow this link:

http://www.ci.farmers-branch.tx.us/BuildingInspection/
ActionCenterGuidelines.html

I think you'll find the tool easy to use, and a valuable addition to our Code Enforcement process.

Tim Scott

4 Comments:

Blogger MaryB said...

Tim, I - for one - am frustrated beyond belief with the code enforcement officers! I started complaining LAST MAY, by using the online tool and e-mail specifically to the code enforcement officer assigned to my area about two specific problems, and today IN AUGUST those problems still exist! I should also note that I have NEVER received a note, return phone call, or e-mail from Code Enforcement about whether any action could or would be taken about these two specific situations. Who makes sure that Code Enforcement is doing its job?????

August 11, 2007 at 6:29 AM 
Blogger Tim Scott, City Council, Place 1 said...

Mary -

I understand your frustration. Our citizens expect action when they bring code violations to the attention of the city. Send me an email at scott.timothy1@tx.rr.com with the details and I will find out what is happening with this situation.

Tim

August 11, 2007 at 7:18 AM 
Blogger amberlane said...

Mr. Scott: (attention Mary)

You promised me the same type action. Two times. Still waiting.

amberlane

August 14, 2007 at 7:11 AM 
Blogger Tim Scott, City Council, Place 1 said...

Amberlane -

I have discussed the issues you brought to my attention with the city manager on several occasions. The staff is aware of them, I will follow up to see what has been done.

Like you, I want to see code enforcement work swiftly and comprehensively. The way the system is set up, that isn't always the case, as there are levels of warnings/tickets, and processes to follow. It can be slow, but that's the nature of the beast.

Let me see what I can find out.

Tim

August 14, 2007 at 7:24 AM 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page